Avon Youth League Under 16s, Cup, 25/09/16

Keynsham Town 2 Whitchurch 0 (HT 0-0)


Keynsham scorers: Toby & Luke.




A beautiful and calm sunny day at Crown Fields Saw the ‘Penn & Teller’ management team of Sainsbury & Smale pit their tactical football prestiditations against a strong and well-organised Whitchurch team. Today also saw a welcome return of Ozzie & Dan, with Ozzie playing up front with Luke, Dan in midfield and Toby, Max, Sam & Miles on the bench.

From the kick off both teams had even shares of possession with good spells of attacking football, with both defences making crucial blocks and headers.

On 6 minutes, a free kick from Adam saw Ben come close with a jumping glancing header from inside the box.

Whitchurch’s attacking play saw Brendan & Dan make vital blocks inside the penalty area.

On 16 minutes, Luke shot narrowly wide following a nice passing move from Dan & Ozzie.

Harrison, playing higher up the field, had a shot saved and Ben had another header in the box go close from an Alfie free kick.

As usual a frenetic pace was set by both teams showing great energy and commitment.

Late on Miles cut inside and had a powerful shot saved.

Whitchurch were a threat from corners & free kicks but an imperious heading display from captain Tommy at the back marshalled the threat.

Good marking and defending from both teams ensured the half ended 0-0 with Reegan not being troubled a great deal in the Keynsham goal.


At the start of the 2nd half Reegan was replaced in goal by substitute goal keeper Owen.

The Keynsham midfield now began to take control with Sam & Max battling and Ozzie & Toby combining well up front. Keynsham were now playing a higher line and taking the initiative trying to win the game with Whitchurch playing the counter attacking football.

On 48 minutes, Keynsham were given a scare when a short back pass left the defence in disarray and a resulting Whitchurch shot hit the bar.

Keynsham quickly regained their composure and Toby, Ozzie & Luke all had shots on goal with Whitchurch becoming quiet.

On the hour, the deadlock was broken when a through ball from Ozzie was chased down at pace by Toby who, having shrugged off two Whitchurch defenders, slotted the ball low and to the left of the goalkeeper for a 1-0 lead.

Shortly after this more Keynsham attacking moves saw Toby hit the bar and Luke come close with a long run and shot on goal.

At the end of the match Whitchurch threw everyone, including the goalkeeper, forward in search of an equaliser.

An injury forced Ben off and Chaz was brought on for a tired Toby.

Owen made a great save from a free kick taken by the Whitchurch goalkeeper and they also had a close range shot go wide.

In the last minute of the game a break away move from Keynsham saw Luke fouled in the box and a penalty awarded.

Luke elected to take (not Alfie?) and coolly scored with the last kick of the game to make the final score 2-0.


Mike Cooke.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *