Avon Youth League Under 16s, Division 2, 25/09/16

Yate United 2 Keynsham Town 3 (HT 1- 1)


Keynsham scorers: Toby(2) & Luke.




A windy Sunnyside playing fields was the venue for the first league meeting of the two sides with a frenetic pace being set from the kick off.

On 5 minutes, a stunned Keynsham Town were a goal down following an edge of the box free kick and subsequent corner, resulting in a close range volley that gave Reegan no chance.

The battling end to end play continued with Keynsham not being given time to settle on the ball and a dynamic Yate threatening from the wings with high crosses into the box.

Alex, Alfie, Harrison and Miles all battled hard on the wings to keep Yate out.

On 24 minutes, following an Alex free kick, the ball fell to Toby on the edge of the box who, on the half volley, drove the ball low and to the left past the diving Yate goal keeper to level the scores at 1-1.

On 32 minutes an injured Reegan was replaced in goal by Chaz. Well done to him for stepping up without a moment’s hesitation.

The windy conditions were difficult and the first half ended with Keynsham fortunate to be level as they didn’t create many clear cut goal scoring opportunities.


From the start of the 2nd half Keynsham stepped up a gear and began to dominate possession with more accurate passing and good movement. The front three of Toby, Luke & Alex now were supported by Max and a strong Brendan was brought on at the back.

Yate were now forced into a long ball game that played into the hands of the very skilful Keynsham back line of Adam, Harrison & Tommy who comfortably mopped up the threat.

The midfield also worked hard to keep possession with Sam, Max & Harrison making some fierce but fair challenges.

On 53 minutes, Alex, twisting past two defenders on the left wing, crossed the ball low into the box for Toby to tap in for his 2nd goal and a deserved 1-2 lead.

Ten minutes later and the Keynsham front three combined again in the final third with Luke scoring at the second attempt from a saved shot on the line.

Max & Adam both had free kick opportunities and Sam had a great shot from inside the box saved while an exciting and prolonged goalmouth scramble ended with the Yate keeper somehow clutching hold of the ball on the goal line.

In the latter stages of the game Yate got a consolation goal from a corner that was headed in at the far post following a parry from stand in goalie Chaz.

Keynsham saw the game out fairly comfortably and the final score ended Yate 2 Keynsham Town 3.


Mike Cooke.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *