Avon Youth League Under 16s, Division 2, 26/02/17

Keynsham Town 2 Yate United 0 (HT 0-0)


Keynsham scorers: Miles & Toby.




A cold and windy day at Crown Fields, with conditions very similar to the first meeting of the two teams at the begining of the season – which Keynsham won 3-2 in a closely fought match. Max, Owen & Miles started as subs with Alf, Ben and Will unavailable.

Keynsham began well and applied immediate pressure from the kick off, winning two corners in quick succession that were nicely delivered into the box by Luke.

Yate Town defended strongly using their height and pace at the back to stop any through balls from Keynsham.

Charlie was unfortunately replaced by Owen after five minutes due to a knee injury sustained when stretching for a high ball in defence.

Both sides battled hard in the midfield with Sam, Dan &  Ozzie getting stuck in and the defence of Harrison, Tommy & Brendon were kept busy by the pace of Yate’s front men. There were good chances created at both ends with Reegan making a great one on one save after 16 minutes and Luke having a header saved from an Adam corner.

On 24 minutes, Yate Town were awarded a free kick in a dangerous area just outside the box. Their No12 drove a powerful shot at  goal but Reegan made a fine save tipping the ball over the bar.

Late in the half Max, on for a bloodied Ozzie, forced a spectacular diving save from the Yate goal keeper with a great strike from 30 yards out.

The half ended 0-0 with Keynsham supporters’ nerves beginning to fray.


Keynsham Town started the 2nd half with more pace and desire and began using the wings more effectively but Yate were playing well and the home side needed to change formation to combat some threatening attacking play from the visitors.

On 57 minutes, Toby made a pacy run down the right hand side and crossed the ball into the box for Miles to side foot the ball high into the net for a 1-0 lead to Keynsham!

Keynsham’s passing and forward movement was now beginning to show and on 63 minutes, a good passing move down the left hand side from Miles & Ozzie placed the ball to Toby on the edge of the box who coolly side footed past the Yate keeper for a 2-0 lead.

Yate with the strong wind behind them applied pressure in the last quarter of the game but some great defending from Keynsham (Owen making a crucial block in the box) and a safe pair of hands from Reegan kept Yate out.

There was a scare at the end of the match when Yate were awarded an indirect free kick nearly on the six yard box but the team defended well using a ten man wall on the goal line ensuring the ball was kept out by some brave blocking.

In the final moments Adam had a powerful shot tipped over the bar by the Yate Keeper but the match ended 2-0 to Keynsham.



Mike Cooke.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *