Avon Youth League Under 16s, Division 2, 11/12/16

Keynsham Town 4 Oldland Abbots Colts 1 (HT 3-1)


Keynsham scorers: Toby(2), Ben & Luke.




A mild and calm December afternoon at Crown Fields saw the second league meeting of the sides with a heavy pitch making passing and movement difficult.

Keynsham Town started the game brightly, with a long ball providing a chance for Charlie straight from the kick off and Luke also coming close with a shot following a run down the left hand side. The Oldland Abbots goalkeeper was kept busy in the early stages with most of the play taking place in the Oldland half. Keynsham, enjoying time on the ball, had the lion’s share of possession and Oldland Abbots were forced to deal with a succession of corner kicks.

On 9 minutes, Toby was brought down in the Oldland box and a penalty was awarded without hesitation by the referee. Toby elected to take and drove the ball low to the outstretched keepers right for a 1-0 lead.

Oldland regrouped and following some intricate passing on the right hand side, No7 (ex-Keynsham player Josh) forced a quality save from Reegan with a powerful shot from outside the box, that was narrowly parried over the bar.

On 14 minutes, a foul on Ben provided a free kick opportunity from Keynsham 35 yards out. A fiercely delivered cross from Luke saw Brendon closely challenge the goal keeper and Toby follow in for a tap in, to make the score 2-0 to Keynsham.

Later, a dinked cross on the edge of the box from Toby saw Miles head narrowly wide with Gary Baker in the background poised to capture the moment for posterity!

Oldland were a threat down the wings with their pace and their valiant efforts were rewarded with a goal on 32 minutes when Josh beat a bogged down Reegan at the far post with a dipping shot high into the top corner (déjà vu). From the restart Keynsham responded immediately with the move of the game: Ben, after an incredible run, played a one-two with Charlie and a left footed shot drove the ball into the back of the net for Keynsham to restore the two goal cushion at 3-1.

Keynsham pressure resulted in a number of well delivered corners from Luke, creating several opportunites for Max to head at goal. The defence of Adam, Brendon & Harrison again looked very comfortable playing out from the back.

The half ended 3-1 with Keynsham having created a lot of chances and Oldland Abbots defending well.


At the start of the 2nd half Toby, Ben & Charlie were replaced by Sam, Alfie & Will.

On 46 minutes, a pass from Tommy put Will through who skipped passed two defenders and shot narrowly over the bar. Alf and Miles both had runs on goal from deep that excited the supporters, but the Oldland Abbot Colts defence stood firm. Luke and Max both had shots on goal but were unlucky.

On 55 minutes, following a good passing move down the right hand side, Oldland rattled the cross bar with yet another screamer of a shot from No7 Josh. Oldland Abbots also had a free kick opportunity that was bravely blocked by Adam.

Luke had a great battle down the left hand side against the pacy Oldland Abbots No5 and his indefatigability was rewarded when he slotted home a low cross from Toby, to make the score a comfortable 4-1 to Keynsham.

In the latter stages, as legs tired, there were chances at each end.

Ben had a header from a corner saved, Charlie had a shot go wide from the edge of the box and Oldland’s No7 Josh was always a threat from long range.

Both teams showed tenacity in the heavy conditions and kept running to the final whistle.

The entertaining game ended 4-1 to Keynsham.



Mike Cooke.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *