Avon Youth League Under 16s, Somerset Cup, 06/11/16

Keynsham Town 3 Weston Super Mare 2 (AET – HT 1-0, FT 1-1)


Keynsham scorers: Luke, Max & Toby.




A cold, wet & gusty autumn afternoon at Crown Fields saw the rare meeting of the two sides – a minutes remembrance silence prior to the game was dutifully observed by both teams.

Keynsham started the game brightly with good passing attacking football with Chaz & Ben in particular neatly controlling the ball and playing some delightful passes.

Dan was also influential in midfield reading the game well and making good passes and interceptions.

On 10 minutes, a pass from Chaz put Toby through who had a powerful shot saved by the legs of the outstretched goalie.

Soon after, a well delivered corner from Luke saw Chaz have a header cleared from the line and a follow up shot from Toby very well saved by the goal keeper.

The resulting corner saw a thunderous volley from Tommy Hester go over the bar from inside the box.

Later in the half, WSM using the width of the pitch well, began to put Keynsham under pressure winning a succession of corners and free kicks around the box.

Reegan again held onto the ball well and Tommy, Adam & Harrison looked very comfortable, skillfully playing the ball out from the back.

On 27 minutes (pure magic) a pass from Sam Harris put Toby through who went wide around the goalie and crossed the ball into Luke who ‘right foot’ volleyed the ball home for a 1-0 lead.

Later Miles delighted the home spectators by going past two WSM players with some deft footwork and shortly afterwards had a shot go over the bar.

Toby, following a foul on Chaz, had a powerful free kick saved and Ben also shot over the bar from inside the box.

The first half ended 1-0 with possession 50-50 but Keynsham having more goal scoring opportunities.

The start of the 2nd half saw a large number of substitutions with the whole squad being present for the earlier team photograph – Chaz, Toby, Tommy, Miles & Dan were replaced by Max, Ozzie, Alf, Brendon & Owen.

Early in the half the WSM No9 was given a yellow card for a late challenge on Harrison and this battle royal continued throughout the half with ‘H’ bossing the play.

Ozzie & Owen worked very hard up front and on 53 minutes Ozzie narrowly shot wide following a long run through on goal.

Later Reegan made a great fingertip save over the bar from a free kick from the large No9.

With Keynsham protecting the 1-0 lead against the wind, WSM pushed numbers forward looking for the equaliser. The back line of Brendon, Tommy & Adamwere now being tested by the WSM masses.

With only five minutes of the half remaining WSM were awarded a free kick just outside the box for a push. The resulting well-delivered free kick found its way into the back of the Keynsham net through a crowded box.

After 80 minutes the score was 1-1 and two extra time periods of 10 minutes each way now followed.

In the first period a resurgent Keynsham with the wind behind pressed WSM high up dominating possession and midway through Max won the ball strongly in midfield and shot from 30 yards to beat the outstretched goalie to make the score 2-1.

In the second period of extra time with WSM pushing numbers forward a perfectly-weighted counter attacking pass from Chaz put Toby through on goal who outpaced the defenders and slotted the ball into the bottom corner to make the score 3-1.

In the final minutes, WSM threw caution to the wind and managed to get a deserved 2nd goal but with a superb performance from Reegan, making some world class saves, time was up.

With the light fading, the entertaining match ended 3-2.


Mike Cooke.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *