Avon Youth League Under 16s, Division 2, 09/10/16

Keynsham Town 4 Whitchurch Juniors 0 (HT 2-0)


Keynsham scorers: Ozzy, Luke (2) & Toby.




Perfect weather conditions for a rematch of the previous week’s closely contested cup game against Whitchurch Juniors.

Keynsham started the match with a high tempo with Ozzy, Luke & Toby combining well up front. This energy was rewarded after 3 minutes when great work and a cross from Toby into the Whitchurch box was beautifully struck first time by Luke for a 1-0 lead.

In response Whitchurch had several free kick and corner opportunities but, as in last week’s match, the Keynsham defence prevented any clear cut chances, with Tommy, Adam, Harrison & Dan making some crucial headers and clearances.

On 12 minutes Luke, jumping like a salmon, had a header saved following an incredibly long throw by Sam into the box.

Whitchurch were occasionally dangerous on the break and Reegan was forced to make a diving save on 31 minutes but Keynsham looked the more dangerous in front of goal with Luke having a powerful left footed shot saved midway through the half.

Reegan looked comfortable in goal and was given safe passing options out wide by the intelligent movement and play of Adam and Harrison.

Unfortunately, just like last week, the brave battling Ben was again injured and he was replaced by Max after 32 minutes..

At the end of the half a quickly taken throw in from Luke put Ozzie through and his well struck shot into the back of the net made the score 2-0 at the break.


At the start of the 2nd half Whitchurch stepped up the pace and pushed more players forward (with their goalkeeper now swapping positions with one of their midfield players). Toby & Luke were briefly rested after 50 minutes with the energetic Alex & Brendan coming on.

Whitchurch showed a good work rate and had a shot hitting the cross bar and a couple of goalmouth scrambles.

Alex’s battling and pace nearly paid off when a short back pass was intercepted but the Whitchurch replacment goalie made a fine low save.

Keynsham managed to keep control of the highly pressurised midfield with both sides not having any time to settle on the ball with Miles & Alf now entrusted with working hard on the wings.

With Keynsham now playing on the break, Max’s switching of the play with long passes and using the width of the pitch caused Whitchurch problems.

A cross from Toby found Chaz who had his shot saved on the line by the goalkeeper and Alf also had a shooting opportunity in the box saved.

In the last five minutes of the game Whitcurch threw caution to the wind in an attempt to score but were punished on the break when a fine pass from Alf found Alex and he unselfishly put Luke through on the left hand side, who with a clinical finish made the score 3-0.

In the last minutes of the game another classy long cross-field pass from Max found Toby on the right hand side, who outran two defenders to strike the ball low past the goalie for a deserved goal and a great 4-0 final score.


chicos viaje seguro en sus viajes.



Mike Cooke.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *